The adoption process generally takes between three and six weeks to complete. We are an all-volunteer organization and have to work a very in-depth process into our already busy lives. We do this because it is important to us that our Saints find the right homes, and hope that you understand and are patient with us.
The adoption application fee is $25 (application fee will be applied if you are approved). $25 will NOT be returned if your application is NOT approved, we will consider it as a donation.
Adoption fee is $500.
Saint Bernard Lover
By giving an orphan a new “LEASH” on life, you give them a chance to show you how wonderful they are. Most of all, you show them just how wonderful YOU are. The following will explain the adoption process and national guidelines for adoption. Guidelines for adopting a Saint Bernard from us include:
- To be part of the family and considered a family member.
- A fenced yard so your Saint can play at his leisure and self-exercise. No electric fences. They do not work with Saints.
- Home checks are done prior to placing the Saint with their new family.
- The new family must agree to keep their new Saint current on heartworm preventative in accordance with their vets’ advice.
- You must be able to understand the nutritional needs of a giant breed and be willing/able to accommodate their dietary needs.
- All current pets in the home must be spayed/neutered prior to placement of the adopted Saint.
- The new family must agree to keep current identification on their new Saint at all times.
- The new family must sign an Adoption Application and Adoption Contract.
- The new family must be willing to pay the adoption fee.
- Some knowledge of giant breeds (not required) is a plus.
- If you are a renter, you will need to include a letter from your landlord stating that it is ok to have a Saint. The letter will need to have the landlord’s address and phone number on it.
Colorado St. Bernard Rescue’s procedure for adoption:
Step 1: Fill out & return adoption application – be as detailed and complete as possible. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Once we receive your application we will verify your references and arrange for a volunteer to do step 2. Please do not list a PO Box on your application. We do require a physical address listed on the application.
Step 2: Home visit/personal interview – this part is easy. A CSBR volunteer will call you to make an appointment to come and do your personal interview and make sure your home is ready for a Saint. We use the information gathered to do step 3.
Step 3: Meeting with dogs – this part is fun. CSBR will take all the information gathered and put it together to help you choose a dog. We are more of a matchmaking service than anything else. We want to make sure that the dog you finally choose will be a match for your home and lifestyle. Once you have chosen a dog, we move on to step 4.
Step 4: Sign adoption contract and pay the adoption fee. At this point, you become a Saint Bernard owner!
Why should you go through all this trouble for a dog?
Well, this is an excellent question! Adding a new dog to your life should be a well thought out, educated decision. Not an impulse purchase! When you adopt an animal, you should be willing to commit to that animal for its entire life. All of the Saints we get into the program have been through at least one home. We place these dogs into homes that we feel will care for them for the rest of their lives. Our screening process has yours and the dogs best interest at heart. We want to match you and the dog perfectly. Our adoption process is in-depth and can take anywhere from a couple of weeks to a couple of months depending on your preferences and the dogs’ needs. This is an organization staffed completely by volunteers, so please be patient. Remember, anything worth having is worth waiting for!
How to apply?
You can call us (720) 981 – 1700, and we can fax, snail mail, or e-mail you an application form. You can also full out the online application that is below.
Review these requirements before filling out the adoption application
- Research about Saint Bernards.
- The new family must understand that this is a lifelong commitment to Saint Bernard. If for any reason, you are no longer able to keep your adopted Saint Bernard, that Saint Bernard MUST come back to CSBR.
- The new family must have never been convicted of any animal abuse laws.
- The new family must understand the health costs of a Saint Bernard and agree to keep Saint Bernard up to date on vaccines.
- The new family must agree to keep their new Saint Bernard current on heartworm preventative in accordance with their vet’s advice.
- The new family must understand the training requirements of a Saint Bernard- NO pinch collars, choke chains, or shock collars.
- All animals in your home must be spayed/neutered prior to your application.
- The new family must be willing to keep their Saint Bernard indoors unless supervised, especially in extreme hot or cold temperatures.
- The new family must understand the nutritional needs of a Saint Bernard and be willing/able to accommodate their dietary needs.
- The new family must agree to keep current identification on their new Saint Bernard at all times.
- You must gain permission from the landlord if renting. You must provide landlords name and phone number.
- The applicate must agree to a home check.
- All adopting individuals must be at least 21 years of age.
- The applicant must be able to pay the adoption fee of $500
- The applicant must live in Colorado year round.